At Interlink, we believe in providing sustainable and eco-friendly building materials for residential construction projects. That’s why we specialize in reclaimed railway sleepers. These versatile, durable hardwood beams give homes unique character while aligning with our commitment to environmental responsibility.
Reclaimed railway sleepers are made from dense oak, ironwood, eucalyptus and other hardy species reclaimed from decommissioned rail lines across New Zealand and around the world. By giving new life to these recycled timbers, we reduce landfill waste and the need for additional timber production. The sleepers’ natural resistance to rot, insects, and weathering makes them perfect for crafting long-lasting outdoor living structures.
In addition to their sustainability, reclaimed timbers bring visual appeal to any residential setting. Their rustic, natural wood finish gives patios, walkways, planter boxes and other features a distinctive style. And railway sleepers are incredibly strong, supporting considerable weight across home applications.
Reclaimed sleepers can be used for a variety of purposes in residential construction, including:
- Patios and walkways: Reclaimed sleepers can be used to create durable and attractive patios and walkways. They are also a good choice for areas that are prone to flooding, as they are resistant to rot and decay.
- Planter boxes: Sleepers can be used to build planters that are both stylish and functional. They can be stained or painted to match the décor of your outdoor living areas.
- Garden edging: Sleepers can be used to create attractive and durable garden edging. They can also be used to create raised beds for plants.
- Feature walls: Reclaimed timbers can be used to create eye-catching feature walls in your home. They can be painted, stained, or left in their natural state.
- Landscape features: Reclaimed sleepers can be used to create a variety of landscape features, such as retaining walls, fountains, and fire pits.
The Diversity of Reclaimed Railway Sleepers
In addition to being durable and versatile, reclaimed railway sleepers are also a sustainable choice for residential construction. They are made from recycled materials, which helps to reduce waste and conserve natural resources. They are also a good choice for those who are looking for a low-maintenance building material.
If you are considering using reclaimed sleepers in your next residential construction project, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, it is important to ensure the sleepers are in suitable condition for the application in mind. Generally, damage from the rail network will not worsen over time. Second, you may need to clean or process the timbers for the desired aesthetic finish. Consider water blasting and wire brushing for amazing results. Finally, you will want to make sure all secondary materials and components carry equal or greater integrity than the sleepers for a long-lasting, reliable installation.
Overall, reclaimed railway sleepers are a sustainable and versatile building material that can be used in a variety of ways in residential construction. They are a good choice for those who are looking for a durable, low-maintenance, and environmentally friendly building material.
With a little care and attention, sleepers can be used to create beautiful and long-lasting features in your home.
Railway sleepers, compared to other hardscape materials
- Durability: They are made from hardwoods that are naturally durable and resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage. They can also withstand heavy loads and are not easily damaged by moisture or extreme weather conditions.
- Strength: Railway sleepers are strong enough to support heavy loads, making them a good choice for patios, walkways, steps, and other structures that need to be able to withstand a lot of traffic.
- Versatility: Railway sleepers can be used for a variety of purposes, including bollards, seating, planters, garden edging, feature walls, and landscape features. They can also be cut and shaped to fit specific needs.
- Sustainability: Railway sleepers are made from recycled materials, which helps to reduce waste and conserve natural resources. They are also a good choice for those who are looking for a low-maintenance building material.
- Affordability: Railway sleepers are relatively affordable, making them a good option for budget-minded homeowners for long-term applications.
|Railway sleepers||Durable, strong, versatile, sustainable, affordable||Can be difficult to find.|
|Concrete||Durable, strong, low-maintenance||Not as versatile as railway sleepers, can be expensive|
|Brick||Durable, and versatile, Can be used to create a variety of looks||Can be expensive, not as strong as railway sleepers|
|Stone||Durable, natural look||Can be expensive, not as versatile as railway sleepers|
|Wood||Versatile, natural look||Not as durable as railway sleepers, can be susceptible to rot and decay|
Interlink provides a range of reclaimed timbers, sustainable and durable building materials to enhance your projects. The recycled hardwood is versatile for all your patios, planters, and walls. Get creative with these amazing, weather-resistant sleepers – inquire today about using them for your home’s next landscape feature!